Posted by caloy | Posted in Colleges and Universities | Posted on 10:06 AM
The Commission on Higher Education (CHEd) announced the top-performing schools offering the Bachelor of Science in Nursing programs in the country for 2009.
The top nursing schools for 2009 for Range 2 (with 100 to 999 takers):
10. Cebu Normal University (Cebu) 96.54% Passing Rate
The CNU was established in 1902 as a summer institute of the Philippine Normal University.
But in 1915, the school became an adjunct to the then Cebu Provincial High School.
It was once used as headquarters of the Japanese Imperial Army, using its rooms as prison cells and torture chambers. The 1980s to the 1990s era saw a rapid increase in the school’s population and new buildings. These structures now house the three big colleges of the school: College of Teacher Education(CTE), College of Arts and Sciences (CAS, and the College of Nursing(CN), as well as the museum, the Integrated Laboratory School(ILS), the Graduate School(GS) and Balay Alumni.
On June 27, 1998, the school (then called Cebu State College) attained university status and was named Cebu Normal University (CNU) under Senate Bill 2320 signed by former President Fidel V. Ramos.
In 2008, CNU had two extension colleges in Medellin and Balamban, in Cebu. The University is Region 7's Center of Teacher Development and on August 2009, it became Region 7's Center of Nursing Excellence.
9. Saint Paul University (Dumaguete) 97.28% Passing Rate
St. Paul University (SPU Dumaguete) is a private catholic university located in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Philippines. It was established in 1904 as an elementary school for boys and girls by the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres (SPC) in the Philippines, a Congregation founded in Chartres, France in 1698.
On 29 October 1904, seven Sisters of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Paul who were coming from their mission in Vietnam established the first St. Paul's school in the Philippines in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental. The seven sisters were Mother Marthe de St. Paul, Superior, Sr. Marie Louise du Sacre Couer, Sr. Ange Marie, Sr. Anne de la Croix, Sr. Charles de Genes, Sr. Catherine, and Sr. Josephine.
8. Pamantasan ng Lungsod Ng Maynila (Manila) 97.51% Passing Rate
Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila, or the University of the City of Manila (PLM), is a municipal government-funded, tuition-free, university within the district of Intramuros in Manila, the Philippines. It was established on June 19, 1965 and opened on July 17, 1967 to 556 scholars, all coming from the top ten percent of graduates of Manila's public high schools.
PLM holds the distinction of being the first tertiary-level institution in the country to offer tuition-free education; the first university funded solely by a city government; and, the first institution of higher learning in the country to have its official name in Filipino.
From its first enrollment record of 556 freshman scholars coming from the top ten percent of the graduating classes of Manila's twenty-nine public high schools, total semestral enrollment has grown to an average of 10,000. The lone college in its earliest beginning has sprung to 12 colleges, seven graduate, two professional schools, and a score of research and specialized centers, including a teaching hospital, an entrepreneurial center, and an integrated learning center for toddlers. In addition, it maintains a comprehensive distance education and open university program for thousands of community health workers and public administrators in different regions nationwide, with affiliations and recognition from various national and international organizations and institutions.
Based on a study using cumulative data from 1999 to 2003 showed that during the said period PLM was among the top five schools nationwide in terms of board exam passing rate. In the same study, it was one among three public universities in the top ten category.
7. University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center (Manila) 97.69% Passing Rate
The University of the East - Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center (UERMMMC or UERM) is a university in Quezon City, Philippines. Founded in 1956, the university is one of the two extension campuses of the University of the East. UERMMMC is a non-stock, non-profit foundation and a memorial to President Ramon Magsaysay since 1957. UERM has PAASCU accredited program of level II. The College of Medicine is in the list of top performing schools for having an overall passing percentage of 92% as of August 2009 Licensure examination.
The College of Nursing BSN Program has been granted Level III by PAASCU. UERM has four departments, namely College of Medicine, Nursing, Physical Therapy and Graduate School.
6. Chinese General Hospital College of Nursing & Liberal Arts (Manila) 98.02% Passing Rate
The Chinese General Hospital College of Nursing and Liberal Arts (CGHCNLA) was established in 1921 as the Chinese General Hospital School of Nursing (CGHSN). The idea was conceived by Dr. Jose Tee Han Kee, who was then the Director of the Chinese General Hospital. With him were three physicians who organized the training school. The Sisters of the Immaculate Conception based in Hong Kong and Canton, China were requested by Dr. Tee Han Kee to help in starting the school. The first batch of five sisters arrived in August 1921. Mrs. Praxedes Co Tui, a registered nurse from the Philippine General Hospital was appointed as Chief Nurse and Principal of the School of Nursing.
5. University of Santo Tomas (Manila) 98.36% Passing Rate
The University of Santo Tomas College of Nursing, popularly known as "UST Nursing", is the nursing school of the University of Santo Tomas, the oldest and the largest Catholic university in Manila, Philippines.
Established in 1946, the college is the first College of Nursing in the Philippines. It is proclaimed to be a Center of Excellence by the Commission on Higher Education and a consistent Top Performing Nursing School in the Philippine Nursing Licensure Examinations.
4. Trinity University of Asia (Quezon City) 98.80% Passing Rate
Trinity University of Asia (formerly Trinity College of Quezon City), also known as TUA or simply Trinity, is a non-sectarian private university located in Quezon City, Philippines. Originally established in 1963 as an elementary, high school and collegiate educational institution, Trinity eventually acquired university status in July 18, 2006. The University goes by the dictum “dedication to knowing and doing truth.”
Trinity University of Asia is the only college or university in the Philippines which has current institutional accreditation granted by a FAAP (Federation of Accrediting Agencies in the Philippines) certified accrediting agency. The Association of Christian Schools, Colleges and Universities Accrediting Association Inc. (ACSCU), granted Trinity University of Asia institutional accreditation "effective August 2009 up to April 2014".
Trinity University of Asia was granted autonomous status by CHED "from 6 October 2009 to 5 October 2012". This is the highest form of certification that can be granted to a Higher Education Institution. As at end of October 2009, only 44 (2.5%) out of 1,726 higher educational institutions in the Philippines had been granted autonomous status by CHED.
3. Saint Louis University (Baguio) 99.04% Passing Rate
Saint Louis University abbreviated as SLU is an educational institution in Baguio City, the Summer Capital of the Philippines, approximately two hundred fifty kilometers north of Manila. With Baguio as Northern Philippines' center of business and commerce as well as center of education, SLU has become one of the centers for learning in the North.
Saint Louis University was founded in 1911 by Congregatio Immaculati Cordis Mariae missionaries, to further the Christianizing of the northern Philippines. SLU is one of the largest universities north of Manila with 26, 700 university students from various backgrounds, excluding elementary and high school as of school year 2009-2010. It is centrally situated in a six-hectare campus in the heart of Baguio City and has more than 30 buildings.
2. West Visayas State University (La Paz) 99.48% Passing Rate
West Visayas State University (WVSU) was founded on June 16, 1902, forming part of the early Philippine school system under the American regime.
Known as the Iloilo Normal Institute and later the Iloilo Normal School, WVSU was one of the five tributary schools created to address the need to train Filipino teachers under the tutelage of the Thomasites. In 1916, it was a secondary school (with Iloilo High School) complete with elementary and training departments. In 1924, with the completion of its main building (now Quezon Hall) and laboratory school building, INS became a distinct educational institution itself. It was also when a secondary normal school program, which eventually became a four-year normal college course, was established.
In 1954, the Bachelor of Science in Education major in Elementary Education was offered, pioneering teacher-training institution in Western Visayas. It was named a Center of Excellence (1994) by the late Sen. Blas P. Ople and Center of Excellence for Teacher Education (1995) by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
The INS became the West Visayas State College by virtue of R.A. 4189 on May 4, 1965, and commenced the offering of the bachelor’s degree in education for both elementary and secondary teaching, bachelor of arts; and master’s in education. Also established were the Graduate School and the College of Arts and Sciences, and consequently the Secondary Laboratory School offering courses in the university level.
The period from 1974 to the early 1980s was one of marked growth, witnessing the establishment of the School of Medicine (1975), School of Agriculture (1976), and School of Nursing (1977).The doctoral program of the Graduate School was likewise, introduced in 1977. The B.S. Biological Science, AB Mass Communications, and B.S. Forestry programs took off in 1981.
On January 27, 1986, the College became the West Visayas State University, integrating the Iloilo National College of Agriculture (INCA) into its system. In 1987, the University acquired the Don Benito V. Lopez Memorial Hospital which became the WVSU Hospital, a 150-bed tertiary, teaching and training hospital. The University further established in 1993, the Sports, Athletics, and Cultural Arts Center which later became the degree-granting PESCAR Institute and later PESCAR College in 2000. In 1993, the Department of Mass Communications became the degree-granting Institute of Mass Communications, which was later converted into a College in 2000. In 2001, the Board of Regents and the Department of Health (DOH) approved the conversion of the WVSU Hospital to WVSU Medical Center that it is now.
The enactment of the Higher Education Modernization Act (1997) brought more developments in the University. In 2000, four CHED-supervised schools in Calinog, Janiuay, Lambunao, and Pototan were integrated into the WVSU System. The University Distance Education program through the Diploma in Teaching (DIT) course began in Summer 2003. By 2005, The Local Government Unit of Himamaylan entered into a Memorandum of Agreement with the WVSU for the establishment of the WVSU Himamaylan Campus. Meanwhile, two new degree-granting units were also opened in the University: the Institute of Information and Communications Technology (IICT) in 2002 and the Institute of Management (IM) in 2006.
In February 2008, the university hosted an international research conference in Iloilo City, in conjunction with its year-long centennial celebration.
1. Saint Paul University (Iloilo) 100% Passing Rate
Impelled by the love of CHRIST, and on the invitation and support of His Eminence Denis Cardinal Dougherty, Bishop of Jaro, The Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres began their apostolic activities in Iloilo by establishing St. Paul’s Hospital in 1911. Their primary aim was to care for the poor and the sick, However, the care of the poor and the sick was not the only apostolic mission of the Sisters of St. Paul; they have also been founded for the purpose of training and educating the young. So it was, with the great desire emboldened by the formative component of their mission, coupled with the pressing need of the hospital for trained competent Catholic nurses, the Sisters under the leadership of Mother Josephine de Jesus opened the School of Nursing in June, 1946. Seventy (70) students were admitted into the first Graduate Nurse Training Program, sixty-eight (68) females and two (2) males, and early sign of the openness and the universality which is a mark of St. Paul. Sr. Marie Louise Limbaga, SPC became Dean from 1946-1947.
Sr. Marie Madeleine soon took the leadership of the new School of Nursing.
The beginnings were difficult, the struggles to grow arduous, but with God’s blessings and through hard work, the school, like the proverbial good seed, progressed and blossomed. Some high points of its developments can be chronicled.
1948 - Recognition of the School of Nursing was granted by the government for the 3-year diploma program leading to the title of Graduate Nurse under the leadership of Sister Marie Madeleine Denoga, SPC.
1950 - A 4-year basic collegiate course in Nursing was opened; this was closed in 1954 due to school’s financial difficulties.
1961 - The Marian Hall building was constructed, more facilities such as the Speech Laboratory, the Refectory, and the Auditorium with its “state of the art” sound, light and stage equipment were acquired through the efforts of Sr. Mary James Taguinod, SPC .
1970 - Consortium with the University of San Agustin was forged to comply with the Department of Education’s requirement to professionalize all Nursing Schools with the able leadership of Sr. Mary Incarnacion de Manuel, spc as Superior-Administrator of SPH. This was discontinued for a more practical administration of the College.